Source Reed Rhizome is the fresh or dried rhizome of Phragmitis communis Trin. (Fam. Graminueae).
Producing Areas All parts of China.
Properties Sweet, Cold
Channels Lung, Stomach
- Clears heat and promotes fluidsFor high fever, irritability and thirst.
- Clears lung heatEspecially useful in acute stages with thick, yellow sputum.
- Clears stomach heatFor vomiting and belching.
- Promotes urinationFor dark and scanty urine (from heat), especially if symptoms include thirst and irritability.
- Vents rashesEncourages the expression of rashes during a febrile condition.
Usage and Dosage
15 – 30g of dried Lugen is decocted for oral use or 30-60g of the fresh product is used.
Notes Contraindicated for patients with asthenic cold of the spleen and stomach.
Keep in a cool, dry place. Protect from mould.
The good one is integrated, yellowish white in colour and glossy.
The skin of fresh Lugen can be peeled. The dried one is shaped like a slightly compressed cylinder, with hard joints and longitudinal wrinkles between joints.