Source Fragrant Solomonseal Rhizome is the dried rhizome ofPolygonatum odoratum (Mill.) Druce, (Fam. Liliaceae).
Producing Areas Hebei, Anhui, Jiangxi, etc.
Properties Sweet, slightly Cold
Channels Stomach, Lung
- Nourishes the stomach and promotes the production of body fluid
For febrile diseases with dehydration or insufficiency of stomach-yin manifested as dry throat, thirst, red tongue with little coating; and diabetes.
- Nourishesyin and moisturises the lungs
For deficiency of lung-yin with dry cough, or fever and cough, in patients withyin-deficiency.
Usage and Dosage
6 – 18g or up to 30g is used in decoction for oral use. Crude Yuzhu: For thirst due to fever, syndrome of exogenous wind and cold due toyin-deficiency, bloodshot and sore eyes.
Steamed Yuzhu: For consumption ofyin due to febrile disease, fever due to asthenia of viscera.
Notes Use with caution for tachycardia, hypertension. Not suitable for deficiency of the spleen and stomach, obstruction of dampness-phlegm and loose stools due to cold in the spleen and stomach.
It is shaped like a cylinder, even and slightly flat, sometimes with branches, 4 – 10cm long, 0.5 – 1.6cm in diameter. Its surface is yellowish white or light yellow brown, translucent, with some marks of fibrous roots and stems, longitudinal wrinkles and joints sticking out. The broken surface is yellowish white, keratin-like or granular. It is brittle but becomes tough after being moistened. It is light in nature. The flavour is sweet, with sticky texture.
Keep in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place. Protect it from mould, moths, oil seeping and colour changing.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Yuzhu is long and thick in size, yellowish white in colour.
Stewed Black Chicken with Solomonseal Rhizome and Dates
Effects This dish is beneficial to those who are suffering from dry cough, sore throat related to deficiency ofyin. It also relieves dryness in mouth, low fever, loss of appetite caused by aftereffects of taking medicines.
1 whole black chicken, pork 100g, Solomonseal rhizome 30g, red dates 25g, lotus seeds 50g, ginger slices, salt, powdered chicken stock, pepper, cooking wine.
- Rinse and slice chicken and pork.
- Place meat and herbs in a pot with an adequate amount of water. Bring to a rolling boil and simmer over a low fire for 5 hours.
- Add salt, chicken stock, pepper and wine, cook over high heat for 10 minutes and serve.
Duck Soup with Glehnia and Solomonseal Rhizome
Effects Nourishesyin and moistens the lungs. Relieves dry cough, heatiness, excessive thirst and constipation.
Glehnia root 60g, Solomonseal rhizome 50g, Euryale seed 20g, ginger 2,1 whole duck (approximately 800g).
- Rinse herbs and ginger; clean and dress duck, cut into pieces.
- Place all the ingredients in a pot with an adequate amount of water.
- Bring to a rolling boil and simmer over a low fire for 2 hours. Season to taste and serve.