Source Barbary Wolfberry Fruit is the dried ripe fruit ofLycium barbarum L., (Fam. Solanaceae).
Producing Areas Gansu, Ningxia, Qinghai; Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Hebei, etc.
Properties Sweet, Neutral
Channels Liver, Kidney
Nourishes the liver and kidneys, promotes the production of sperm, improves vision
- For deficiency of liver-yin and kidney-yin and insufficiency of sperm and blood manifested as dizziness, blurring of vision, hypopsia, tinnitus, emission and soreness of the loin and extremities; also for diabetes.
- For deficiency of kidneys and sperm manifested as sourness and weakness of waist and knees, impotence, emission.
- For deficiency of liver and kidneys, insufficiency of sperm and blood manifested as dizziness, tinnitus, forgetfulness, premature greying of hair and frequent urination at night, dry and sore eyes, and blurred vision.
- For cough due to deficiency of blood, hectic fever, profuse sweating, night sweating.
- For deficiency of kidney and diabetes manifested as frequent urination, thirst, vexation and weaknes.
- For overstrain-cough due to asthenia of lungs, dry cough with less phlegm, coldness at day but fever at night
Usage and Dosage
6-159 is used in decoction for oral use. It also can be used crudely, or in pills or powder.
Notes It is not suitable for patients with diarrhoea due to deficiency of the spleen.
Goujizi is a bright or red ellipsoid berry, 0.6 – 2cm long, 0.3 – 0.8cm daimeter, each containing many tiny seeds which are light yellow or brown yellow. There are irregular wrinkles on the surface. The skin is thin while the flesh is thick, soft, moist and sticky. The flavour is sweet, slightly sour, with no smell.
Keep in a cool and dry place. Protect it from moisture and moths.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Goujizi should be big and full-grained in size, red in colour and sweet, with thick, soft, moist flesh and not too many seeds.
Gan Goujizi is mainly produced in Gansu and Xinjiang. It is less than 1cm long, 2 – 4cm in diameter, with dark red and not glossy surface, has a stronger sweet but sour flavour. It is better than Tu Goujizi which is wild and slightly smaller.
Wolfberry Congee with Hazelnut
Effects Nourishes the liver and kidneys, improves eyesight and promotes tissue regeneration. It is beneficial for those suffering from weakness in body and blurring of vision.
Hazelnuts 30g, wolfberry 15g, polished roundgrained rice 50g.
1.Crush the hazelnuts; boil hazelnuts and wolfberry water. Remove dregs and extract essence.
2.Cook rice with essence, simmer over a low fire to make congee.
Steamed Chicken with Wolfberry
Effects This dish tonifies blood, nourishes liver and kidneys. It alleviates symptoms associated with insufficiency of liver and kidneys, such as dizziness, absent-mindedness, forgetfulness, impotence and weakness in the waist and knees.
Wolfberry 20g, 1 whole chicken, seasoning to taste.
1.Stuff the wolfberry inside the chicken; place the chicken in the steamer. Add adequate amount of spring onion (cut into sections), ginger, clear soup, salt, cooking wine and pepper.
2.Steam with cover for 2 hours, add seasoning and serve.