Source Songaria Cynomorium Herb is the dried fleshy stem ofCynomorium songaricum Rupr. (fam. Cynomoriaceae).
Producing Areas Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang, etc.
Properties Sweet, Warm
Channels Kidney, Large Intestines, Spleen
- Invigorates the kidney and supplements essence
For deficiency of kidney- yang and insufficiency of essence and blood manifested as impotence, emission, flaccidity or paralysis of extremities, cold pain of the loins and knees.
- Moisturises the intestine and relaxes the bowels
For constipation and dryness of the intestines in the aged and the diseased with blood deficiency
Usage and Dosage
10 – 15g is used in decoction for oral use.
Notes Contraindicated in patient with hyperactive yang due to deficiency of yin, diarrhoea due to deficiency of spleen and constipation due to sthenic heat.
Its stem is cylinder-shaped, sometimes flat, sometimes tapered in the upper part and slightly curved, 5 – 15cm long, 1.5 – 5cm in diameter. The surface is reddish brown to brown with many obvious longitudinal grooves and off and on crosswise shallow fractures, sometimes with dark brown scales. It is hard and tough. The broken surface is pale brown or brown with irregular triangular clusters of fibrous tubes sticking out. It is light in nature. The flavour is sweet and astringent.
Keep in a cool and dry place. Protect it from dust and moths.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Suo yang is big and thick in size, reddish brown, with powdery broken surface and unobvious vessels, has sweet and astringent flavour.
Cynomorium Fried Shrimp
Warms the kidneys and acts as a laxative.
Cynomorium stem 15g, hawthorn fruit 10g, shrimp 100g, ginger 5g, onions 10g, salt 5g, vegetable oil 500g (actual quantity used approximately 50g).
- Wash and slice the cynomorium. Shell the walnuts, retaining the skin; remove the hawthorn pits and slice. Wash the shrimps thoroughly. Slice the ginger and onions.
- Heat the oil over a strong fire. Add the walnuts and simmer until fragrant, then set aside.
- Place the cynomorium in a small pot with 50ml of water and stew for 25 minutes. Strain out the dregs and set the liquid aside.
- Heat 50ml of oil over a strong fire. Fry the ginger and onion until fragrant. Add the shrimps, salt and cynomorium essence, and finally the walnuts. Fry until the shrimps are cooked.
Warming Cynomorium Congee
Warms the kidneys and replenishes vital essence and blood. It helps to relieve aching and weakness of the loins and knees, coldness of the limbs, impotence and constipation.
Cynomorium stem 10g, fresh mutton 100g, rice 100g.
1.Wash and slice the mutton.
2.Pan-fry the cynomorium stem and remove the dregs, then add the mutton and rice and cook as congee.
Tips for a Healthy Life
Those suffering from diarrhoea or spermatorrhea should consume with care.