Source Human Placenta is the dried placenta of a healthy woman (Fam. Hominidae).
Properties Sweet, Salty, Warm
Channels Heart, Lung, Kidney
- Invigorates the kidney and supplements essence
For insufficiency of kidney- yang and kidney-essence manifested as sterility, impotence, emission, dizziness and tinnitus.
- Invigorates vital energy and enriches blood
For insufficiency of vital energy and blood manifested as shortness of breath, fatigue, poor appetite, and galactoschesis for the debilitated who are susceptible to common cold and skin infection.
- Invigorates the lung and relieves cough
For lung-deficiency or deficiency of the lung, spleen and kidney with dyspneic cough
Usage and Dosage
It is stewed freshly, one or half for each time, 2 – 3 times each week. 2 – 4g is used in capsules 2 – 3 times a day, or in pills or powder. It is also used in placenta injections or oral tablets. Up to twice the dosage is used in severe cases.
Notes Contraindicated in patient with heatiness due to deficiency of yin.
It is shaped like an oval butterfly or a semicircular broccoli, 9 – 16cm long, about 1cm thick. The surface is yellow, yellow brown or purple black. The convex face is rough, with criss-cross grooves and colourless membrane. The concave face is smoother with the umbilicus or its remnant attached and netted blood vessels. It is brittle and fishy.
Keep in a cool and dry place. Protect it from dust and moths.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Ziheche is big in size, complete, yellow in colour, dry and clean, with no foul smell.
Chicken Stewed with Placenta
Effects Alleviates consumption and nourishesqi in the blood. It is beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure related to deficiency of yang.
Placenta (dried) 30g, broiler chicken 1 (500g), ginger 5g, spring onions 10g, salt 5g.
- Grind the dried placenta to powder. Pluck and clean the chicken. Slice the ginger, chop the spring onions.
- Rub the chicken with salt and place in a pot with the powdered placenta, ginger, spring onions and approximately 1500ml of water.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then stew for 50 minutes over a low fire.
Fish Maw Stewed with Placenta
Moisturises yin, revitalises and replenishes blood.
Placenta (dried) 30g, fish maw 300g, walnut kernels 10g, turmeric 10g, white peony root 10g, Millettia root 10g, cooking wine 10g, ginger 5g, onions 10g, salt 4g, MSG 3g, whole black chicken (750g).
- Wash the fish maw and cut into squares. Grind the placenta to a fine powder.
- Clean the chicken and set aside. Rinse the various herbal ingredients, and slice the ginger and onions. Place all the ingredients except the salt and MSG in a stewpot. Add an adequate amount of water and bring to a rolling boil, then simmer over a low fire for 50 minutes. Season and serve.