Source The source is from gas bladders of Large Yellow Croaker (Pseuddosciaena crocea Rich.), Small Yellow Croaker (P.Polyactis Bleeker), Chinese Sturgeon (Acipenser sinensis Gray) and Huso Sturgeon (Huso dauricus Georgi), etc. They are boiled until they are dissolved and become jelly after cooling down, and is called Biaojiao.
Properties Zhejiang, Shandong, Fujian, Shanghai, etc.
Properties Sweet, Mild in Nature
Nourishes the kidneys and tonifies yin,benefits essence and enriches blood, invigorates meridians, removes blood stasis and relieves swelling
- For deficiency of kidney-qi manifested as emission, dizziness, tinnitus, blurred vision and pain in waist.
- For deficiency ofyin and blood after childbirth causing stiffness and spasms.
- For coughing blood, metrorrhagia and metrostaxis after childbirth.
- For swelling and pain due to haemorrhoids and eliminating toxic material.
- For esophagus cancer and stomach cancer.
Usage and Dosage
9 – 15g is used in decoction for oral use, or in pills, powder or paste. It can be melted for external use.
Notes Contraindicated for those with weak stomach and large quantities of phlegm.
It is usually pressed as a long oval slice, with light yellow, keratin-like and slightly glossy surfaces. It is tough and the ruptured part shows fibres. It is bland in taste, and slightly fishy. When soaked in water, it expands. When boiled, it dissolves and the thick solution becomes a very sticky jelly after cooling.
Fish maw gelatin (above) is cubes of gelatin made from the dried and processed maw of Chinese sturgeon, Huso sturgeon or large yellow croaker.
Keep in a dry place.
The gas bladder of sturgeon or Huso sturgeon is called Huangqundu or Huangxunjiao. The one that is finely cut is called Xianyujiao.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Yubiaojiao is light yellowish white in colour, keratin-like, translucent and0 tough.
Fish Maw with Sea Cucumber
Relieves chronic gastritis, indigestion, neurasthenia, tumour in digestive tract. It invigorates the spleen and replenishes the kidneys.
Sea cucumber 100g, fish maw 150g, monkeyhead mushroom (Hericium erinaceus) 100g, chives 50g, seasoning to taste.
- Soak and clean the sea cucumber, fish maw and mushroom, scald them separately in boiling water for 20 minutes, then cut them into shreds. Cut the chives into sections.
- Put 1500ml of clear soup in the pot and bring to a rolling boil. Add the sea cucumber, fish maw and mushroom, and boil until cooked.
- Put in the chives and add seasoning. Stir evenly and serve.
Fish Maw Gelatin Soup with Scallops
This dish nourishesyin, strengthens the kidneys and relieves tiredness. It is particularly beneficial to those who are suffering from impotence due to deficiency in the kidneys, weakness after birth or who are recovering from surgery.
Fish maw gelatin 75g, shiitake mushrooms 4, pork ribs 400g, wolfberry 50g, scallops 2.
- Steep the fish maw gelatin in boiling water for at least 60 minutes. Rinse the pork ribs thoroughly. Soak the shiitake mushrooms in boiling water until they become soft, and remove the stems.
- Blanch the pork ribs in boiling water for 2 minutes to remove any odour, then drain and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, add the fish maw gelatin, scallops and pork ribs, and simmer over a low fire for 2 hours.
- Add the mushrooms and wolfberry, and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season and serve.