Source Morinda Root is the dried root ofMorinda officinalis How (Fam. Rubiaceae).
Producing Areas Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian, Jiangxi, Sichuan, etc.
Properties Sweet, Spicy, Slightly Warm
Channels Kidney, Liver
- Tonifies the kidneys and assists the yang
For impotence, infertility, spermatorrhoea, premature ejaculation, incontinence, weak lower back, irregular menstruation, blood clots during menstruation, and dull abdominal pain that is cold in nature.
- Strengthens the tendons and bones
For back pain and atrophy of the muscles.
- Dispels wind-damp and cold
For cold damp painful arthritis, muscle cramps or spasms, and difficulty in moving the joints.
Usage and Dosage
9 – 15g is used in decoction for oral use, or in pills. The crude is for strengthening sinews and bones, and eliminating wind and dampness.
Notes Contraindicated in patient with damp-heat. Not suitable for patient with deficiency of yin causing hyperactivity of yang.
It is in the shape of an oblate cylinder, cylinder or strung beads, slightly curved, 1 – 2 cm in diameter. The surface is grey yellow or yellowish grey brown, with longitudinal wrinkles and deep crosswise wrinkles. Bajitian is hard and tough. The broken surface is irregular, with a slightly purplish skin that is 5 – 7mm thick and a wooden part that is 2 – 4mm in diameter. Its flavour is sweet and slightly astringent.
Keep in a well-ventilated and dry place. Protect it from mould, moisture and moths.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Bajitian is sweet in flavour, big and thick in size, in the shape of strung beads, with plump purple-coloured flesh and a thin wooden part.
The common fakes are the root of Morinda umbellata L.,M. shuanghuaensis C.Y.Chen et M.S.Huang andSchisandra propinqua (Wall•) Baili, var.sinensis Oliv. They have similar characteristics but the skin is thin and the wooden part is far thicker than the real one’s.
Pig Kidney Soup with Wolfberry and Walnuts
Effects This soup is especially beneficial to those who are suffering from premature gre ying of the hair, aches and weakness in the waist and knees, weakness of the tendons or giddiness and tinnitus.
Pig kidneys 2, wolfberry 15g, walnuts 30g, fleeceflower root 30g, morinda root 30g, rehmannia root 15g, fresh ginger 3 pieces.
- Rinse the wolfberry and the herbal roots. Blanch the walnuts to remove the skin.
- Wash and slice the pig kidneys. Fry with the ginger.
- Place all the herbs into a pot, add an adequate amount of water and bring to a rolling boil, then lower the fire and stew for 2 hours.
- Add the fried kidney slices and cook for 5 minutes, then add salt and a small amount of seasoning, and serve.
Essence-Reinforcing Soup to Support yang
Effects Nourishes the essence, the liver and the kidneys, and builds yang. It is beneficial to elderly people who suffer from deficiency of the liver and kidneys.
Morinda root 30g, cistanche 20g, wolfberry 30g, fresh ginger 3 pieces, garlic 30g, mutton 500g.
- Rinse the morinda root, wolfberry and cistanche. Slice the mutton and fry until fragrant.
- Place all the ingredients including garlic and ginger into a pot with an adequate amount of water. Bring to a rolling boil and then simmer over a low fire for 3 hours.
- Season to taste and serve.