Source Epimedium Herb is the dried aerial part ofEpimedium brevicornum Maxim.(Fam. Berberidaceae).
Producing Areas Henan, Shaanxi, Shanxi, Hunan, Liaoning and Sichuan.
Properties Sweet, Spicy, Warm
Channels Kidney, Liver
- Reinforces kidney yang
Impotence, seminal emission.
- Strengthens the tendons and bones
Weakness in limbs.
- Relieves rheumatic conditions
Rheumatic or rheumatoid arthralgia, with numbness and muscle contracture.
For deficiency of the liver and kidney manifested as dizziness, aches and weakness of the waist and knees.
For deficiency of both yin and yang causing irregular menstruation.
Usage and Dosage
6 – 15g is used in decoction for oral use, or in pills or powder, or soaked in spirit for drinking.
- Crude yin yanghuo: ForBi-syndrome of wind-cold-dampness.
- Roasted yin yanghuo: For impotence, sterility.
Notes Contraindicated in patient with heat due to pathogenic factors.
The part above the ground is 20 – 40cm long with a rod-shaped stem and three identical bipinnate leaves. The leaf is oval in shape with a saw-toothed edge. The surface is green or yellow green with slight gloss while the underside is grey green with sparse hair. It is slightly leathery but crisp. The flavour is slightly bitter.
It is about 40cm long with three identical pinnate leaves. The bases of the side leaves are obviously slanted. Each leaf has fine thorns on the edge.
It has three identical pinnate leaves, 2 – 4.5cm wide, about 5 times as long as they are wide.
The leaf is wide, oval, thin and membranous, with hair-like thorns along the edge.
It has long soft hair on the undersie of the leaves
Keep in well-ventilated and dry place.
Description of Quality Herb
The good yin yanghuo should be whole green leaves.
Double Herb Congee
Effects Has an invigorating effect on the kidney yang and a nourishing effect on the essence of the bones. It is highly beneficial to those who are suffering from a deficiency in kidney yang.
Epimedium 9g, Curculigo rhizome 4g, japonica rice 100g, rock sugar 20g.
- Decoct the epimedium and curculigo with water and strain the dregs out. Repeat twice to obtain two separate batches of liquid. Mix these and place the mixture in a pot.
- Add the japonica rice and an adequate amount of water. Bring to a rolling boil and then slowly simmer over a low fire until it has a thick consistency. Add the rock sugar and serve.
Tips for a Healthy Life
Those with a yin deficiency or high levels of heatiness should not consume this dish.
Essence-Reinforcing Soup to Support yang
Effects It nourishes the kidneys, reinforces the vital essence and slows down the ageing process.
Chinese yam 15g, epimedium 10g, morinda root 10g, wolfberry 10g, lotus seeds 5.
- Soak the lotus seeds for 1 hour in advance.
- Cook the Chinese yam, epimedium and morinda root in 600 ml of water, first bringing it to a rolling boil then simmering over a low fire for 20 minutes.
- Strain out the herbs. Add the wolfberry, ginger and soaked lotus seeds and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mutton and boil until the meat is cooked. Add salt to taste and serve.