Source Eucommia Bark is the dried stem bark ofEucommia ulmoides Oliv., (Fam. Eucommiaceae).
Producing Areas Sichuan, Shanxi, Hubei, Henan, Guizhou, Yunnan, Jiangxi, Gansu and Hunan, etc.
Properties Sweet, Warm
Channels Kidney, Liver
- Invigorates the liver and kidney, strengthens the tendons
Manifested as sore loins and knees, flaccidity of lower limbs, and infantile paralysis.
- Soothes the foetus
For threatened abortion due to hypofunction of the liver and kidney.
- Lowers blood pressure
For hypertension, especially those with deficiency of the liver and kidney.
Usage and Dosage
6 – 15g is used in decoction for oral use, or in pills or powder.
- Crude Duzhong: ForBi-pains due to wind-dampness, eczema in private parts.
- Stir-baked Duzhong: For soreness of loins due to deficiency of kidney, emission due to impotence, threatened abortion and hypertension.
Notes Use with caution for patient with hyperactive fire due to deficiency of yin.
The bark, 2 – 7mm thick, is shaped like a flat board or reel, and varies in size. The surface is pale grey brown or grey brown, smooth or rough with obvious longitudinal wrinkles or irregular longitudinal fractures. There are parallelogram-shaped pores on the skin when it is not scraped, sometimes with pale grey spots. The internal surface is dark purple brown or reddish brown and smooth. It is crisp. The broken surfaces are connected by crowded, silver-white, flexible silk which can stretch up to 1cm before breaking. Its flavour is slightly bitter and there is a rubbery texture when chewed.
Keep in a well-ventilated and dry place.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Duzhong is big and thick in size, without coarse skin, with dark purple internal surface and some silk on the broken surface.
Lean Pork Soup with Eucommia and Drynaria
Effects Beneficial to those who are suffering weakness in convalescence, apoplexy, aches in the back and waist, pain in the lower limbs and emaciation.
Lean pork 200g, Drynaria rhizome 50g, Eucommia bark 40g, wood ear fungus 50g, rice wine 50g.
- Wash and slice the pork. Soak the wood ear fungus, and wash; rinse the eucommia and drynaria separately.
- Place all the prepared ingredients in a pot with an adequate amount of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then simmer over low heat for 3 hours. Season and serve.
Boiled Kidney with Walnuts and Eucommia
Effects Nourishes and replenishes the liver and kidney, and strengthens the tendons and bones.
Pig kidney 1, Eucommia bark 30g, walnut kernels 20g.
- Remove the glands from the kidney, rub it with salt and rinse.
- Fry the eucommia with a small amount of salt and water until parched. Place the fried eucommia and prepared kidney in a pot of water. Add ginger and onions to taste and boil over a strong fire. Skim off the surface scum.
- Add the walnuts and salt to taste. Simmer over a low fire for 15 minutes.
- Remove the kidney and slice it. Arrange on a plate with the walnuts, drizzle some oil and sauce over it, garnish and serve.