Source Coral Bean Back is the dried stem of Erythrina variegata L. var. orientalis (L.) Merr., (Fam. Leguminosae.)
Producing Areas Guangxi, Yunnan and Hubei, etc.
Properties Bitter, Spicy, Neutral
- Dispels wind-dampness, clears channels and collaterals
For muscular ache and pain in the lower back and knees, spasm and pain in the extremities and joints.
- Relieves itching and kills parasites
For itching skin lesions including scabies.
- Promotes urination and reduces edema
For superficial edema due to dampness.
- Relieves toothache due to wind-dampness with heat
Haitongpi used in different areas have different sources.
- Zhetongpi (Cortex Zanthoxyli Ailanthoidis.) is the bark of Chuyehuajiao (Zanthoxylum ailanthoides Sieb. et Zucc.) or Duojiao (Zanthoxylum molle Rehd.). It has a thin bark with many thorns and corresponding scars on the inner surface.
- Chuantongpi (Cortex Kalopanacis.) is the bark of Ciqiu (Kalopanax septemlobus (Thunb.) Koidz.) or Mao Chiqiu (K. septemlobus var. margnificus (Zabel) Hand-Mazz.). It has a blackish brown surface, flattened thorns, layered cross-section and white powder in the interlayer.
- The bark of Mumian (Gossampinus malabarica (DC) Merr.) has a greyish brown or brown surface, and many thorns with rings on them.
Usage and Dosage
5-15 g is used in decoction for oral use, or soaked in spirit for drinking. The decoction can be used externally for washing, and the powder can be used for external application.
Keep in a ventilated and dry place.
Description of Quality Herb
The good one is hard and tough, with thin bark and apparent thorns.