Source English Walnut Seed is the dried ripe seed ofJuglans regia L., (Fam. Juglandaceae).
Producing Areas Hebei, Shanxi, Shandong, etc.
Properties Sweet, Warm
Channels Kidney, Lung, Large Intestines
- Invigorates kidney- yang and strengthens the waist and Knees
For deficiency of kidney- yang with soreness and weakness of the waist and knees, frequent micturition and enuresis.
- Invigorates the lung and relieves dyspnea
For lung-deficiency or deficiency of the lung and kidney with dyspneic cough.
- Moisturises the intestine and relaxes bowels
For constipation due to dryness of the intestines and consumption of body fluid.
Usage and Dosage
It is used with the skin for stopping dyspnea and cough. The skin removed is for moistening the intestines and stopping constipation. There are two ways of external use: 1. Stir-bake it until it becomes black, grind it into powder. 2. Stir-bake it, then mix it with oil.
Notes Be cautious in patient with hyperactive fire due to deficiency of yin, or who have cough and loose stools due to phlegm-heat.
The seed is ball-shaped, formed by two brain-like cotyledons which are 1 – 3cm in diameter. The radicle is triangular and can be seen sticking out from one end. The skin is thin, pale brown to dark brown in colour with dark longitudinal wrinkles. The cotyledons is yellowish white and oily. It is slightly fragrant. The flavour is sweet and its covering is slightly astringent.
Keep in a cool and dry place. Protect it from mould and moths. The oil might seep out after prolonged storage.
Description of Quality Herb
Good Hetaoren is big and full-grained in size, yellow in colour with white broken surface.
Leeks Fried with Walnuts
Effects Replenishes kidney yang and is excellent for relieving impotence.
Walnut kernels 50g, leeks, vegetable oil, salt to taste.
- Fry the walnut kernels in fragrant oil until they are golden-brown in colour.
- Wash the leeks and cut into sections, then add to the pan and stir-fry with the walnuts. Add salt to taste, and serve.
Walnut and Lotus Seed Congee
Effects Replenishes the kidneys and strengthens the vital essence, alleviates dry coughing and acts as a sedative. It is suitable for relieving pain in the loins associated with deficiency in the kidneys, impotence and loss of fertility, incontinence, shortness of breath and insomnia.
Japonica rice 50g, lotus seeds 50g, walnut kernels 50g.
- Rinse the japonica rice and lotus seeds. Remove the pith of the seeds. Place both ingredients in a pot with an adequate amount of water, and cook as congee.
- Chop the walnuts finely and add to the congee just before it has cooked, then continue to simmer over a low fire until it is done.